Sunday, October 28, 2012

OF MICE AND MEN by John Steinbeck

I've long been a Steinbeck fan.  It's not about his biggies like GRAPES OF WRATH and EAST OF EDEN, but more about CANNERY ROW and SWEET THURSDAY.  Last night I reread OF MICE AND MEN because I'll be teaching it to my 10th graders next trimester.  Having reread this one, I'm going to pledge to find the time to reread my other favorites.

George and Lennie move from farm to farm to eek out a living as hired hands.  George is the brains behind the pair because Lennie, although powerful individual capable of heaving sacks of barley like no other man, is mentally challenged. 

The two men arrive at the next farm ready to work.  George warns Lennie to let him do the talking or they might be sent packing.  He reminds Lennie they had to leave their last job because of Lennie's mistake. 

Steinbeck captures the time period as well as the life of the traveling hired hand in OF MICE AND MEN.  I'm looking forward to sharing it with my students.  Although they might see it as an "old time" story, I know the emotional aspects of the story will draw them in and perhaps create a few new Steinbeck fans.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cannery Row is one of my favorite books of all time. I really need to read more Steinbeck. I've only read three of his books but I loved each one.