Friday, July 31, 2020

HOW TO HANG A WITCH by Adriana Mathers


Full disclosure - I had a copy of this book in my classroom and decided to leave it with the collection I left for my replacement. When I recently read THE BRAVE by James Bird, it was mentioned frequently by the characters, and I also learned it was written by Bird's wife. Well, it sounded like a book I should have read so I bought another copy, and now I've read it. Next I'll be getting a copy of the sequel HAUNTING THE DEEP because of the promised teaser that "the ghosts are back!"

Samantha "Sam" Mather and her stepmother are moving into her grandmother's house in Salem, Massachusetts. It is a move of convenience since her father, currently in a coma, has been moved to a hospital nearby. Moving to a town famous for its witch trials and having the same last name (Mather) as the infamous Cotton Mather, means Sam is going to get some attention. 

Sure enough a group calling themselves "the Descendants" immediately focus on Sam. The attention is anything but positive. She is blamed for recent, mysterious deaths, a rash that plagues those who attend a party where she is present, and a rock inscribed with "DIE" is thrown through her window. Stepmother Vivian tells Sam is just part of being new, but neighbor and new friend Jaxon tries to be supportive and defends Sam.

While exploring the old house, Sam discovers clues to a possible curse that could be connected to the deaths and other strange happenings. She also meets Elijah, a spirit living in the house. His help may prove invaluable as she tries to break the curse and save the lives of those around her.

Author Adriana Mather is a distant relative of Cotton Mather. She deftly weaves this modern day story with historical tidbits from the early days of Salem and those accused of witchcraft. Filled with plenty of twists and turns and downright scary moments, HOW TO HANG A WITCH is definitely a winner.

No comments: