Saturday, April 7, 2012

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green

Wow!

When asked what my favorite book is, for years I have responded, "THE GIVER by Lois Lowry."  Move over, GIVER.  There is a new favorite on my top shelf - THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green!

I've enjoyed all of John's books and didn't think anything would top AN ABUNDANCE OF KATHERINES, but I was wrong.  He has topped himself yet again.

Hazel's crisp and irreverent voice captured me on the first page.  Her battle with cancer and her struggle to be her own independent person is only one part of this amazing book.  When she meets Augustus, another cancer survivor, the talent of John Green shines even brighter.

Between Hazel and Augustus, Green is able to give voice to the fight against cancer but also to young love.  There is no way to stop either one.  What is meant to happen will happen, and perhaps we are just along for the ride.

I realize this review simply heaps on the praise and doesn't reveal much about the substance of the plot, but this is one you truly must experience for yourself.  A huge thank you to John Green.

No comments: