Sunday, April 22, 2012

WHAT BOYS REALLY WANT by Pete Hautman

Pete Hautman never disappoints me.  WHAT BOYS REALLY WANT grabbed my attention on the first page, and I couldn't put it down.

Lita and Adam have a comfortable friendship.  If asked, they would say they don't keep secrets from each other, and although they may not always see eye-to-eye on the details, they are loyal to a fault.

As their voices alternate throughout the book, readers are let in on the truth.  The two high school students might be great friends, but they are definitely living separate lives.  Lita expresses herself through her alter-ego Miz Fitz as she offers snarky advice on her blog.  Adam is sure he knows the ins and outs of boy/girl relationships, and takes things a step farther by deciding to write a book.

As Miz Fitz, Lita takes a mis-step or two and sometimes worries about what would happen if anyone ever found out she really doles out the advice instead of a real Miz Fitz.  Adam learns that writing a book isn't as easy as it might first appear.  With the help of the Internet and Miz Fitz's blog, he cobbles together some wacky information meant to help girls navigate the mixed-up world of guys.  As Lita and Adam become more deeply involved in their individual projects, their friendship is tested and their reputations hang in the balance.

Hautman's humor is evident from page one.  I found myself chuckling frequently and genuinely laughing out loud on a regular basis.  I found myself sharing funny moments with friends who probably didn't give a hoot what book I was reading, but it's the kind of fun one just has to share.  I already have a student asking to read this one, and I'm sure it won't take long before there is a waiting list.

No comments: