Wednesday, January 20, 2010

THE 8TH GRADERS RECOMMEND THESE BOOKS WITH GREAT FIRST LINES (PART 1)

I asked my 8th graders to take a look at the first line of the book they were currently reading.  If the first line looked like an attention grabber, they gave me the book so I could put it on this recommendation list.  Maybe some of these will inspire a reader or two to give them a try.

NORTH OF BEAUTIFUL
by Justina Chen Headley
Not to brag or anything, but if you saw me from behind, you'd probably think I was perfect.

CARTER FINALLY GETS IT
by Brent Crawford
In the back room of the Pizza Barn with only two weeks before the start of high school, my boys and I are at the Freshman Mixer.

BAD GIRLS DON'T DIE
by Katie Alender
I stood perfectly still, looking up at the house and the dark sky beyond it.

RUNNING THE RISK
by Lesley Choyce
The gunman arrived at Burger Heaven shortly after midnight on Friday.

STANFORD WONG FLUNKS BIG-TIME
by Lisa Yee
Today's the last day of school, the only day that I look forward to.

IT'S KIND OF A FUNNY STORY
by Ned Vizzini
It's so hard to talk when you want to kill yourself.

THE JOURNAL OF DOUGLAS ALLEN DEEDS
by Rodman Philbrick
"Today we embark on a great journey."

THE WINTER OF RED SNOW
by Kristiana Gregory
It is almost sunrise and we are still waiting for Papa to return.

THE HUNGER GAMES
by Suzanne Collins
 When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.

1 comment:

Lisa Yee said...

Honored to be on the list!