Tuesday, January 26, 2010

MORE BOOKS WITH GREAT FIRST LINES - PART 2

Here are some books the 8th graders recommend because of their interesting opening lines.

SURF MULES
by G. Neri
"Dude, Check it out.  Surfers!"  Z-boy shouted as they sped down Interstate 10.

THE VAMPIRE DIARIES: THE AWAKENING
by L.J. Smith
Dear Diary,
     Something awful is going to happen today.

GENTLEMEN
by Michael Northrop
It started out as just another Tuesday at the Tits: first period, Practical mathematics, nothing special.

THE MEDIATOR: SHADOWLAND
by Meg Cabot
They told me there'd be palm trees.

STORY OF A GIRL
by Sara Zarr
I was thirteen when my dad caught me with Tommy Webber in the back of Tommy's Buick, parked next to the old Chart House down in Montara at eleven o'clock on a Tuesday night.

AFTER
by Francine Prose
Minutes after the shootings, everybody's cell phone rang.

THE STRAIGHT ROAD TO KYLIE
by Nico Medina
I really wish I wasn't gay right now.

MESSED UP
by Janet Nichols Lynch
CAT FIGHT - about the only good thing that can happen the first day of school.

No comments: