Saturday, April 21, 2012

THE BETRAYAL OF NATALIE HARGROVE by Lauren Kate

Natalie has long dreamed of being crowned prom queen.  Ever since her mother's romantic exploits landed them on the "right" side of the tracks, Natalie has plotted and schemed to land the perfect boyfriend to have by her side as prom king.

An unfortunate car accident almost derailed Natalie's plans, but life is slowly returning to normal.  Yes, the accident resulted in tragedy for one and also left Natalie's best friend walking with a cane, but the traditions of Palmetto High are not to be destroyed.

Lauren Kate, author of the popular FALLEN series, gives readers another novel filled with twists and turns and devious human behavior.  At times I felt sympathy for Natalie, but mostly she's one of those characters I love to hate.  The stereotypical southern charm and focus on the trappings of society are such a far cry from my Midwestern lifestyle that I found it fascinating and at the same time disturbing.

THE BETRAYAL OF NATALIE HARGROVE came highly recommended by several of my students, and I wasn't disappointed.

No comments: