Sunday, July 26, 2009

IF I STAY by Gayle Forman


IF I STAY is an incredibly powerful book. It captured me immediately. Mia's character rings true as she recounts her life experiences and the memories that make her who she is.

Mia and her family members are so real and likeable that when tragedy hits early on, I gasped and felt like I'd lost friends I'd known for longer than a scant dozen pages.

At just seventeen Mia's family is torn from her, leaving her to fight not only for her life, but also to understand what continuing to live without them will mean. Her out-of-body experience lends such a vivid aspect to the story; the emotions seem to flow from the pages.

This is the sort of book that I find difficult to review because telling too much would deny an important element to future readers. What I can say is that the title IF I STAY, Mia's ultimate decision, provides a roller-coaster of emotions that take readers right up to the final page. I can't wait to see what author Gayle Forman has to offer next.

No comments: