Wednesday, November 11, 2009

WEDNESDAY'S WISH I HAD THE TIME #6


I'm a huge fan of Sharon Draper. I have been since I first read TEARS OF A TIGER.

My Wish I Had the Time pick this week is FIRE FROM THE ROCK. It's been on my classroom shelf for quite some time, and the students tell me it's very good, but so far there haven't been enough hours in my day to get to it.

Here's a summary courtesy of Barnes & Noble:

"Sylvia is shocked and confused when she is asked to be one of the first black students to attend Central High School, which is scheduled to be integrated in the fall of 1957, whether people like it or not. Before Sylvia makes her final decision, smoldering racial tension in the town ignites into flame. When the smoke clears, she sees clearly that nothing is going to stop the change from coming. It is up to her generation to make it happen, in as many different ways as there are colors in the world."

Hopefully, I'll get around to it soon.

1 comment:

Staci said...

I loved Tears of a Tiger too. Her writing is incredible. This one looks and sounds great!! Hope you find time to get to it!