Saturday, January 15, 2011

ASK THE EXPERTS

Who knows what teens like to read better than teens?  At least once a week after silent reading time, I ask my 8th graders if anyone has any book suggestions.  Today I asked them to recommend books for reluctant readers. 

Because I saw a few confused looks, I explained a reluctant reader was someone who wasn't really interested in reading.  That generated a few nods and comments.  Of course, I know who the reluctant readers in my class are so I was interested to see who headed to the white board to add a title to the list. 

Sure enough, those who contributed to the list were mostly students not very likely to pick up a book on their own.  What followed was a very respectable list of titles and an interesting conversation from the group crowded around the board.  Things like, "Yeah, I remember that one.  It was pretty good," and "I really liked that one.  You should read it next."

So here's a list of books for reluctant readers recommended by reluctant readers...

IT I GROW UP by Todd Strasser
TOP OF THE ORDER by John Coy
THE BAT BOY by John Lupica
REMEMBER ME by Christopher Pike
IN THE WOODS by Robin Stevenson
PARALYZED by Jeff Rud
ALABAMA MOON by Watt Key
BULLRIDER by Suzanne Morgan Williams
LAWN BOY by Gary Paulsen
LUSH by Natasha Friend
FOR KEEPS by Natasha Friend
BULLYVILLE by Francine Prose
FALLEN series by Lauren Kate
BLUE BLOOD series by Melissa de la Cruz
GUTS by Gary Paulsen
ROCK STAR by Adrian Chamberlain
BRAIN JACK by Brian Falkner
RIDING INVISIBLE by Sandra Alonzo
NIGHTWORLD by L.J. Smith
THE CHRONICLES OF VLADIMIR TOD series by Heather Brewer
COPPER SUN by Sharon Draper
TAMAR by Mal Peet
HARRY POTTER series by J.K. Rowling
CHICKEN BOY by Frances O'Roark Dowell

3 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

Some of these are ones that go out well at my school, but some are ones I don't have, so I'll have to take a look at them! Interesting mix of topics.

Pragmatic Mom said...

Thank you for sharing your list for reluctant readers. It's also a topic near and dear to my heart. I blog on getting reluctant readers to read extensively and wanted to share that link with you at http://www.pragmaticmom.com/?cat=3154

I hope you find it helpful!

Kate Coombs said...

Great list--thanks!