Wednesday, December 23, 2015

NOT IF I SEE YOU FIRST by Eric Lindstrom

Not If I See You First
Here are some of Parker's rules: 1) Don't help me unless I ask, 2) Don't talk extra loud to me, 3) Don't treat me differently, and 4) Don't deceive me.

Parker is blind.  A tragic car accident killed her mother and tore Parker's optic nerve, leaving her in the dark.  After the accident, Parker depended on her father for everything.  They had been close before, and that closeness only increased.  But then, he died. 

It has been months since Parker's aunt, uncle, and cousins moved into her family home.  It was decided that having Parker adjust to new surroundings would be too much, and she appreciated that they were willing to make the sacrifice and move.  Parker is now able to concentrate on adjusting to life without her father.

To most people, Parker appears tough and independent.  She evens has a morning running routine that gives her a feeling of control and helps her deal with missing her dad.  A peer aid helps her in her classes at school, but she is determined to be as self-sufficient as possible. 

Despite her tough exterior, Parker not only misses her father, but also mourns the end of her relationship with her boyfriend Scott.  They were best friends and more until an incident in eighth grade when Scott broke the ultimate rule with Parker - "Don't deceive me."  Now she is trying to learn to trust all over again.  It might be possible that a new friend, Jason, can renew her faith in friendship with a guy.  But, just as she's getting comfortable, her feelings for Scott being to resurface.

NOT IF I SEE YOU FIRST is the debut novel of author Eric Lindstrom.  I was impressed with the strong voice he created in Parker as she deals with the curveballs life has thrown her way.  Full of grit and determination, Parker doesn't wallow in self-pity and will serve to encourage others dealing with life's issues.  

No comments: