Wednesday, December 19, 2012

DRAGONBREATH: CURSE OF THE WERE-WIENER by Ursula Vernon

One of my students surprised me with this book as a Christmas present.  He said he knew I liked books so he got me this one.

It's a cute story that reminds me of recent offerings like the Wimpy Kid series and the Origami Yoda series.  DRAGONBREATH  has actually been around for some time, but thanks to my student, I'm just discovering it.

Danny Dragonbreath and his friend Wendell go on quite an adventure.  During lunchtime in the school cafeteria, Wendell is bitten by a were-wiener.  Wendell is an iguana, and when he suddenly begins to grow hair and develop an incredibly annoying itch, Danny knows something is wrong.  What follows is completely crazy but full of fun. 

Danny and Wendell investigate the walk-in freezer in the school kitchen and discover the were-wieners are from Transylvania.  It soon becomes clear that Wendell is not the only student affected by the were-hot dog curse.  Danny knows he will need help in battling the curse so he turns to the arch enemy of the hot dog -- the villainous potato salad, previously condemned to live in the sewer tunnels below the city.

CURSE OF THE WERE-WIENER is the third book in the Dragonbreath series by author Ursula Vernon.  Tongue-in-cheek humor and quirky drawings combine to make it a fun read.

No comments: